Parent Tips

Often times parents have questions related to something they have noticed in their student or their students' friends. They want more information or want to voice a concern to school officials about what they are witnessing or suspect. The links below should help provide information to some general questions regarding student/school issues and describe the process by which parents can communicate with school personnel.


Bullying and harassment is a serious problem in schools from kindergarten through 12th grade. The terms may be used synonymously and is defined as being unwanted, consistent demeaning acts. Acts can be verbal, physical and in written form.

Bullying/harassment has recently been seen via e-mail, instant messaging or through journal sites on the internet. It's important to monitor your student's on-line activity.

This type of behavior can be addressed in several ways depending upon the situation. Your student's dean should be notified and an investigation will take place. Possible responses could include but are not limited to: peer mediation, OMNI referral, parent conferences, Saturday detentions, or suspensions.

Substance Abuse

Substance abuse is unfortunately a problem within many school environments ranging from grade school to high school. Substance abuse among students can take place before school, during school hours, after school and on the weekends. It's important to know where your student spends their free time and the other students with whom they are spending it with.

Signs of substance abuse:

Dropping grades, poor attendance (cutting class), change in friends, defiant behavior, etc. See the substance abuse link below for further information

If you suspect that your student may have a substance abuse problem you can do any or all of the following:

  1. Contact your student's counselor, social worker or dean.
  2. Contact a social service agency and explain your concern; they will refer you to the appropriate program.

Remember: Working together with multiple adults who have access to your student is the best approach!

Community Resources:

Problem with Teacher

Is your student having a problem with one of his or her teachers?

  1. First, you should contact the teacher directly and document your contact.
  2. If the problem persists, contact the division head of the teacher to coordinate a collective effort in solving the problem. Document your contact.
    • Math/Science: Ms. Angel Johnson (847) 718-4131
    • English/EL/Theater: Ms. Susan Sangwa (847) 718-4073
    • Social Science/Foreign Language: Ms. Barbara Meyer (847) 718-4088
    • Career & Technical Education/Visual Arts: Mr. Jeff Bott (847) 718-4037
    • PE/Drivers Ed: Mr. Jeff Bott (847) 718-4037
  3. If the problem still persists, contact Jill Maraldo, Associate Principal for Instruction, at (847) 718-4014.